Saturday, 23 October 2010
600g spare-ribs (chopped into pieces, rinsed, drained)
1 1/2tsps MSG
1/2 tsp meat tenderizer powder
1/2 tsp bicarbonate of soda
3 tsps sugar
10g refined shrimp sauce
1/2 tsp Maggi seasoning
1 tbsp Chinese cooking wine
1/2 tbsp white rice wine
1 1/2 tbsps plain flour
1 1/2tbsps tapioca flour
1/2 tsp custard powder
1 tbsp minced garlic
1/2 fresh red chilli (seeded, chopped)
Little green capsicum (cut into small strips)
Little yellow capsicum (cut into small strips)
2 pieces Chinese celery leaves
1. Place marinade (A) except for egg into a big bowl. Add in spare-ribs, mix well then
add in egg and knead till meat has absorbed in all moisture. Add in flour of marinade (B), mix well. Add in marinade (C), mix and keep ribs chilled for at least two hours or overnight.
2. Deep-fry no. (1) in hot oil over medium heat till golden. Remove, let oil come to
another boil. Refry ribs to expel excess oil from being absorbed in. Remove ribs, drain,
garnish and serve hot.
1. Meat tenderizer softens the meat but bicarbonate of soda makes the meat smooth.
2. Kneading the meat helps the meat to loosen its fibre so when you eat the cooked meat,
there will be no toughness.
3. Oil must be hot enough so the meat after deep-frying has an even colour.