(From Y3K Recipes Issue No.7 – July/ August 2002 and Y3K Cookbooks Vol.10 - Lim Bian Yam's Favourite Recipes On International Cooking 林棉炎大师厨艺经典)
Copyright of Y Three K Publisher. All rights reserved.
3 chicken legs (deboned, cut into 1 inch squares)
1 can straw mushrooms (cut into halves)
280ml coconut milk (140ml thick santan add in 140ml water)
1 litre stock/water
2 stalks lemon grass
3 pieces fragrant lime leaves/ limau purut leaves (remove center part to prevent bitterness)
2 coriander roots (smashed)
15 red and green chilli padi (smashed)
40g galangal (cut into ¼ inch thick slices)
1 tbsp light soy sauce
1/4 tsp pepper
1 tsp corn flour
5 tbsps fish sauce
4 tsps chicken powder
Salt to taste
1 tsp sugar
1/2 tsp V’sin
4 tbsps lime juice
1. Marinate chicken legs with marinade.
2. Bring the water or stock to a boil. Add in lemon grass, limau purut leaves, galangal, coriander roots and sugar. Bring to a boil again.
3. Add in chicken and seasoning (except lime juice). Simmer for 3-5 minutes.
4. Add in coconut milk and chilli padi. Bring to a boil.
5. Turn off heat. Add in lime juice. Remove and garnish with coriander leaves. Serve hot.
Tips: Lime juice should not be cooked, because it can turn bitter. Tom Kha Kai is another favourite dish apart from Tom Yam Kung for the Siamese. It has a different appeal as it has a smooth, creamy texture.