Thursday, 25 September 2008
HOME STYLE CHICKEN RICE
(From Y3K Recipes Issue No.9 – Nov/ Dec 2002)
Copyright of Y Three K Publisher. All rights reserved.
Approx. 4 servings
300g Thai fragrant rice
5 shallots (minced)
2 pips garlic (smashed)
1 piece young ginger (smashed)
3 blades pandan leaves (knotted)
1 tbsp butter
2 tbsps cooking oil
Some water to cook rice
1/4 tsp salt
2 whole chicken legs
5 slices young ginger
1 stalk spring onion
4 shallots (pound, extract juice)
1 1/2 tbsps oyster sauce
Deep-fried shallot crisps
Cucumber (slice into pieces)
1. Marinate chicken with marinade for 30 minutes.
2. Melt butter in a pot. Add in cooking oil and sauté minced shallots.
3. Add in garlic and ginger. Fry for a little while.
4. Add in washed rice. Fry a little.
5. Add in some water, pandan leaves and salt to cook the rice.
6. Place a steamer over the pot. Put the spring onion and ginger on it. Add in chicken legs. Cover and cook over medium heat for 10 minutes.
7. Turn off heat. Let it cook in its own heat till rice is cooked through.
8. Remove chicken legs and chop it into serving pieces. Serve chicken rice with garnishing.
5 red chillies (shredded, remove seeds)
1 piece young ginger (40g)
5 pips garlic (smashed)
5 small local limes / limau kasturi (extract juice)
2 tbsps water
1/2 tbsp sugar
2 tbsps shallot oil
1 tsp sesame oil
Blend all ingredients in a food processor till a fine paste is formed. Serve with the chicken rice.
Use kampung chicken as the meat has a better texture.
During the cooking process, the chicken is cook through by the steam evaporated from the boiling rice below. The juicy chicken essence drops onto the rice, thus creates an aroma.
Do not use frozen chicken legs, or else it will never cook through.