(From Y3K Recipes Issue No.9 – Nov/ Dec 2002)
Copyright of Y Three K Publisher. All rights reserved.
Roti Jala (Peranakan Lacy Pancakes)
225g superfine flour (sieved)
1/2 tsp salt
1 tsp oil
4 eggs (beaten)
340ml fresh milk or diluted coconut milk from 1 coconut
Ingredients for yellow colouring:
1/2 tsp turmeric powder/ serbuk kunyit
1 tsp water
Ingredient for green colouring:
8 blades pandan leaves (pound and extract juice)
1. Add salt into the flour. Make a well in the centre. Add in eggs, oil and coconut milk. Mix well with a beater.
2. Add in colouring (yellow or green colour per your desire). Mix into a smooth batter.
3. Strain the batter. Free it from lumps.
4. Cover and let it rest for at least 15-30 minutes.
5. Heat up a non-stick frying pan over low heat. Pour batter (no.4) through a perforated Roti Jala cup onto the pan. Move it in circles to form lacy-patterned pancakes.
6. Fry till cooked (1 minute). Turn to the other side. Fold into half-moon shape or quarters. Repeat process till batter is used up.