Copyright of Y Three K Publisher. All rights reserved.
(Y3K Cookbooks - My Secret Recipes Series Vol. no.3 – Popular Cakes & Desserts With Step-by-step Guide - April 2004)
I N G R E D I E N T S :
80g icing sugar
110g caster sugar
110g plain flour (sieved)
1 tbsp fresh milk
50g butter (melted)
1 tbsp cocoa powder mix with 1 tbsp water
Red, green and brown food colouring
M E T H O D :
1. Beat both butter and margarine together till white and light. Add in icing sugar, beat till creamy.
2. Beat eggs and sugar on high speed till light and fluffy. Fold in sieved flour and milk with a wire ballon whisk. Add in melted butter. Mix well.
3. Divide batter into two portions.
4. Divide one portion of batter into three parts. Colour each part with a different colour of red, green and brown. Pour into the lined tray. Make a little ridge with the greaseproof paper, so with the divider, the coloured batters will not run into each other (picture 2). Bake it in a preheated oven at 180 degrees Celsius for 10-15 minutes. When cooled, cut into strips of 1" X 9".
5. Pour the other portion into a 9" X 12" baking tray lined with greasedproof paper. Dot cocoa solution onto batter. Draw a skewer through the batter in lines to streak the colour over (pic 3). Bake in a preheated oven at 180 degrees Celsius for 10-15 minutes till baked through. Cool slightly, cut into halves whilst hot (9" X 6").
6. Invert a piece of no.5 on a clean tea towel.
7. Spread a portion of no.1 on top of no.6.
8. Arranged a piece of different coloured sponge strip no.4 on no.7. Roll up tightly with the help of the tea towel (picture 4).
9. Repeat similar steps with the remaining cocoa streaked sponge and the coloured strips.
10. Rest the Swiss rolls in the tea towel for 5 minutes before removing the cloth. Serve sliced. Chill it for better taste.