(Y3K Recipes Issue No.19 – Jul/ Aug 2004)
Copyright of Y Three K Publisher. All rights reserved.
Ingredients for pan meen:
1 kg plain flour
Some water (approx. 500 ml)
1 tsp salt
2 tbsps oil
600g anchovies/ ikan bilis
7-10 litres water
Some small lime juice/ limau kasturi
600g pork (minced)
20 mushrooms (soaked, cut into strips)
Some choy sum (cut into sections)
2 tbsps oyster sauce
2 tbsps soy sauce
1 tsp white granulated sugar
1 tbsp dark soy sauce
1. To make pan meen: Place flour on a cleaned tabletop. Make a well in the centre, add in salt, oil and egg. Draw in water slowly and knead very lightly to form a dough. Do not overknead to prevent dough from becoming stringy.
2. Clingfilm no. (1) and chill it for an hour to rest dough. Sprinkle flour on tabletop and roll out dough to a flat piece. You can run it through a paste machine to churn it into flat noodles or tear it manually into pieces.
3. To make stock: Wash anchovies and toss dry in a plain oiless wok. Place dried anchovies in a big pot of water and boil stock for one to two hours. Season with salt.
4. Marinate minced pork with the marinade. After one hour, heat up a wok. Drizzle in a little oil to stir-fry pork. Dish up meat, leave the liquid in the wok. On low heat, simmer mushroom strips for 10 minutes.
5. To cook pan meen: Bring a pot of water to a boil. Cook pan meen in this hot water, put in choy sum. Place on top of noodles. Remove and place in a bowl. Scoop a tablespoon of fried minced pork and some mushroom strips on it. Squeeze some lime juice on top before serving.