(Y3K Cookbook Vol.10-Lim Bian Yam's Favourite Recipes On International Cooking)
and (Y3K Recipes Issue No.13 – Jul/ Aug 2003)
Copyright of Y Three K Publisher. All rights reserved.
2 eggs (grade C)
180ml fresh milk
1 small slice old ginger
3 tbsps sugar
1/4 tsp salt
1 tbsp sugar
4 tbsps water
1. Dissolve syrup ingredients. Set aside to cool.
2. Mix sugar, salt and ginger with water, cook till sugar and salt are dissolved. Do not bring it to a boil. Add in fresh milk and stir.
3. Beat the eggs. Add in (2) and stir well. Strain it.
4. Heat up a steamer and bring the water to a boil. Heat up 4 rice bowls in the steamer.
5. Pour in (3) till almost full. Steam for approximately 10 minutes.
6. Remove from steamer. Add in (1). Serve hot.
Steam over high heat for the first 3 minutes. Open lid to release steam. Turn to medium heat, steam for another 3 minutes. Open lid again to release steam. Lastly steam over low heat for 2 minutes till cooked. This will ensure a smooth custard.
Prick the centre of custard with a small knife or fork. If it comes out clean, it is cooked. Top with a layer of thin syrup to stop the cooking process. Can serve with a drizzle of either Brandy, ginger wine, Cointreau (pronouned as Kwan-trow) or Kahlua coffee liqueur.