(Y3K Recipes Issue No.17 – Mar/ Apr 2004)
Copyright of Y Three K Publisher. All rights reserved.
200g granulated sugar
150 ml water
150 ml fresh milk
6 eggs (grade B)
1/2 tsp vanilla essence
140g condensed milk
1 tsp bicarbonate of soda
200g plain flour
3/4 tsp double action baking powder
1. To caramel sugar: Put sugar into a pot, turn on low heat, stir-fry sugar till it melts. The colour is rather dark, turn off heat and add in water. Keep on stirring. Cool solution, mix in fresh milk. Mix well, keep aside.
2. Break eggs into a mixing bowl. Beat with electric mixer till bubbles form, gradually add in margarine and vanilla essence. Beat for approximately 2 minutes.
3. Add in condensed milk & bicarbonate of soda. Stir in no.(2), fold gently. Do not deflate air bubbles.
4. Fold in sieved ingredient D. Pour in cooled syrup solution of no.(1). Fold gently to incorporate batter and syrup well.
5. Pour no.(4) into two greased loaf pans. Rest it for 30 minutes before baking in a preheated oven at 180 degrees Celsius for 45 minutes. Insert a skewer into the centre to check, it should come out clean if cake is cooked. Cool cakes well on wire rack.
Tips: Do not overmix margarine and eggs mixture.