Tuesday, 9 December 2008
Nyonya Spicy Sweet Sour Prawns
(Y3K Cookbook Vol.10-Lim Bian Yam's Favourite Recipes On International Cooking)
Copyright of Y Three K Publisher. All rights reserved.
12 large prawns (shelled, leave heads and tails intact)
300g onions (sliced)
10-12 pieces pickled leeks (sliced)
1 can peeled tomatoes
240g tomato ketchup
60 ml water
2 tbsps chilli boh/ chilli giling
1 tsp turmeric powder/ serbuk kunyit
Spice B: pounded
40g old ginger
4 cardamons/ buah pelaga
2 inches cinnamon bark/ kayu manis
20 pieces curry leaves
2 tsps salt
3/4 tbsp sugar
1 tsp V'sin
1 stalk spring onion
1. Heat up 1 cup oil. Deep fry the prawns till cooked. Remove and drain off excess oil. Set aside.
2. Leave 3 tbsps oil in wok. Saute spice C. Add in onions, fry till soft. Add in spice A and B. Fry well over low heat.
3. Add in tomato ketchup, peeled tomatoes and water. Cook till the gravy thickens.
4. Add in seasoning. Adjust taste.
5. Add in pickled leeks and prawns, fry well. Dish up and garnish with spring onion.