Friday, 14 November 2008
Cream Horn Bread
Y3K COOKBOOK - MY SECRET RECIPES SERIES - VOL.NO.6
(BREAD MAGIC - page 58 & 59)
1 quantity **sponge method dough (refer to page 7 - see below)
Ingredients for butter cream:
100g icing sugar
1/2 tsp vanilla essence
1 egg (beaten)
Some white sesame seeds
10 cream horn moulds (available at bakery marts)
1. Leave dough in a big bowl, covered with a damp cloth. Proof in a warm place for 30 minutes till it double its size. Scale at 60g portions. Roll into long strips and wind a strip around an ungreased horn mould from tapered point to wide end. Place on a greased baking tray, proof for another 40 minutes, covered with a damp cloth.
2. Glaze with egg wash and sprinkle sesame seeds on top. Bake in a preheated oven at 180 degrees Celsius for 15 minutes.
3. Remove bread from the horn moulds. Cool bread on a wire rack. Pipe filling into the hollow centre.
4. To make butter cream filling: Whip butter on high speed till fluffy. Add in shortening and beat till mixture is smooth. Add in icing sugar and vanilla essence. Beat till well combined.
Tips: Dislodge bread from moulds immediately after baking to prevent moisture from seeping in.
**Sponge Method Dough
200g high protein flour
1 tsp instant yeast granules
1 tbsp caster sugar
150g high protein flour
60g caster sugar
1 tsp salt
2 tbsps milk powder
1 tsp instant yeast
1. Combine ingredient A and place into a mixer. Beat for two minutes till a soft dough is formed. Leave dough in a big bowl, covered for two to three hours for a slow proof.
2. After two to three hours, prepare the next step by adding ingredient B into a mixer. Add in the fermented dough of no.(1) and beat for five minutes. If dough appears too dry, drizzle in a bit of water. Add in butter of ingredient C and beat further for three minutes till dough has a smooth and elastic touch. Leave dough in a big bowl, covered with a damp cloth for a 20-30 minutes rest.
Sponge And Dough bread has a soft texture but with a bite which basic bread dough bread lacks. Old Dough Method's bread does not have this kind of soft texture so it is not suitable to wrap in a filling. It is considered as wholesome bread. Only bread or buns made with sponge and dough method or basic bread dough has the right finish to wrap in different kinds of filling.
Bread dough that has been proofed for more than 6 hours is an important basic ingredient used in making Hard Bread/ Old Dough Method Bread (page 10 - Hard Bread).
Before & after proofing
(Left) Dough insufficiently proofed as it has not doubled in size. To test, press a finger into the dough and withdraw quickly. The impression springs back instantly.
(Right) Fully proofed dough that has doubled in size with a nice texture. Press a finger into the dough, it leaves a deep impression and springs back very slowly.
Take a small piece of smooth dough and stretch it with your fingers. If it can be stretched into a thin transparent layer without tearing, the dough is fully developed. Dough that does not have the elastic touch will break easily when stretched. This needs a further mixing by machine or kneading by hand.
To view contents of "Bread magic"